Managed-App is therefore a Content Glass service that refer to the process of installing, onboarding and managing Content Glass app install using the services portal located on www.contentglass.com. The list below mention the primary chractaristics of managed-app service:
- Usually involve some approach for automatic onbording - creating account and managed-app user (e.g Shopify app) .
- Involve the creation of dedicated user and dedicated account on Content Glass services portal.
- May involve the process of automatically install Content Glass script on a website.
- Created user is set with special role of manage-app-client.
Integration is established between a website and Content Glass services portal:
- Managed-App entity is created for the website on Content Glass services portal.
- Managed-App entity is then used to manage the preferences of CG install.
- Managed-App entity provide the required settings of CG app
- Integrate with ready-made and/or custom made Content Glass add-ons.
- Handle billing procedure when necessary
While this may sound a little bit abstract we will follow in this book the process of installing and setting preferences for CG Shopify app. Shopify app for Content Glass is an example of managed-app. When app is installed it is connected with managed-app service logic, install CG script on Shopify store and provide portal for making various settings.
Shopify app for Content Glass is also the host for running Add-ons packed also as Shopify apps. The user can see and managhe these add-ons using the managed-app portal. Billing for these add-ons is also managed by the service.
Note: It you are not familiar with the concept of stanalonce CG app Vs Add-On cg app please refer to this chapter in the web client users manual.Generally speaking:
- Standalone CG app - an application that uses the basic CG-Application module together with its own application-manifest file. This provide maximum control on app running.
- Add-On app - an application that is loaded by exposing it glass-manifest file to standalone application, so it is actually run as add-on that extend functionality to the standalone application. In many cases add-on is sufficient for adding a required functionality. For example adding new widget libraries or special management views to Cg-Button app doe not require a standalone application and add-on will do the job fine.
So lets follow the Shopify example. The next chapter describe the process of installing Content Glass on Shopify store with highlights regarding managed-app service logic.